Marae Trip

It was kind of freaky at first when the people did the powhiri because when we walked up to the enormous marae, there, in the middle was a carving starring down at us with those glaring eyes of his. We went into the marae, and then a women told us to get into a line. I was surprised to find us playing pass the mattress!! Then we set up our beds. It only took me seconds to find out that I had left my pillow at home!! I thought that it did not matter, because I found out that my school bag made a comfy pillow, even though it was a little bit lumpy. After that, we all went into the wharekai to have morning tea. Then we were assigned into groups. I was in group 4. Our first activity was that we had to make poi. Me and Stanley were with Mrs Jordan. The next activity was that we had to draw our mihi . It was fun and confusing. After that, we all had a snack, then we resumed our activities. Then after that activity, my group moved onto making Ti Rakau. I loved it so much. It was fun. I did a pattern that sort of had a rainbow pattern, then a circle pattern. Weaving was the next step on the list, where we made harekeke (flax) putiputi (flowers).  We then learned some games with the Ti Rakau. Finally it was bedtime and I hardly got any sleep! By Kaia.

Comments

1. Jodie Baldwin Jodie Baldwin says:

I really like the cool vocabulary you used in your writing Kaia. Well done!

2. Dave Simmonds says:

I really enjoyed reading your story Kaia. You use wonderful descripive language to describe our visit nd all the fun activities.