Years 1 - 8
"Quality Learning in a Rural Community"
With its rich & well preserved history Hukerenui School holds an important place in its community. The original school was established in 1889, 1km south below Keatley’s house. It was surrounded by several other small schools. These schools amalgamated in 1949 on a new site by the domain. In 1957 Hukerenui District High was built, upon its closure in 1973 the primary school shifted to the site.
The school changed its name and motto in 1997 to better reflect itself in modern society. ‘Hukerenui School’ became ‘Hukerenui School Years 1-8’, the original motto “Manners Maketh the Man” changed to the one listed below. The first school logo was created in 1987 and updated in 1997 by Y7-8 students to represent important educational aspects of Hukerenui School.
Hukerenui is a rural district comprising of many families involved in dairy farming. However there has been a noticeable shift to smaller lifestyle blocks. The school works closely with its community including developing closer links with the Akarama and Whakapara Marae’s.
Close ties are kept with surrounding schools for sporting and cultural visits providing the children with many opportunities to meet wider school communities.