About Us

Hukerenui School, established in 1889, is situated 30 km north of Whangarei. We are a state school catering for children from Years 0 to 8. The roll is approximately 115 students through our six classes.

The school is situated on 4.5 ha of land – this includes six classrooms, a group learning centre, library, administration block, hall, computer suite, and a Specialist Technology Centre.

The school also has a Playcentre on site which operates every Thursday morning. Outdoor features include turf tennis courts, a swimming pool, two adventure playgrounds, swings, sandpit, lavender patch, alpaca paddock, bee hives, orchard, Maize trial, pupil’s garden, native bush area and shade trees.

The school celebrated its centennial in 1989 along with a number of other smaller schools in the area which were amalgamated over the years. The current school was originally the secondary department of a District High School, with the current tennis club and cub/scout den being the Primary School. The High School was closed in 1972 and the Primary School was transferred to the existing site.

The area is predominately rural with many families involved in dairy farming. While agriculture is still significant to the community there has been an increase in smaller life style blocks. The school has links to both the Whakapara and Akerama Marae. Clubs are available for school aged children; these include rugby (Mid Northern), Keas and Scouts, Mid Northern Hockey and Hukerenui School Netball.

The majority of students are brought to school by bus from a 20km radius from the school. Areas covered include Towai, Tāpuhi, Waiotu, Whakapara, Puhiphui and Riponui.

Ties are kept with surrounding schools for sporting and cultural visits, providing the students with many opportunities to meet wider school communities.

The school philosophy is reflected in our mission statement and emphasises our open door policy for the community to be involved in the teaching of the students at Hukerenui School.